When are fluoride treatments needed?
Fluoride is an essential element that protects our teeth from cavities, keeping them strong and healthy. These days, most of us get sufficient quantities of fluoride through our water supply, the foods we eat, toothpaste, and mouth rinses. But there are cases where you or your child may need additional fluoride treatments at our Pelham dental office are needed to ensure good oral health.
During routine dental exams and professional cleanings, Dr. Moore and our hygienist will decide on a case-by-case basis when topical fluoride treatments are necessary. In general, here are a few instances where these treatments are beneficial:
- Protect your child’s teeth if they are not getting enough fluoride through other sources
- Reduce increased tooth sensitivity
- Strengthen and protect teeth that are affected by receding gums, particularly if roots are exposed
- Counteract the increased likelihood of cavities if you suffer from chronic dry mouth
- Diminish a recent increase in tooth decay and cavities
If it’s been a while since your last exam or cleaning, and you are not sure if you need fluoride treatments, please contact our Pelham dental office. We will be happy to make a convenient appointment so that we can check your teeth thoroughly and decide if you would benefit from fluoride treatment.